I am a little on the fence about sharing this one, it was tasty but just very different than our normal recipes and a tad strange to me. I did not have this leftover, just had it once for dinner and then kind of wanted to move on but Jacob brought it to work for lunch. The reason I’m putting this out there though is because I’m always looking for ways to incorporate different veggies into our meals, especially nutrient dense veggies like those little brussels!
Fact: Did you know that brussels are PACKED with vitamin C? Just one serving hits your daily requirements! They are also good sources of vitamin K, antioxidants and calcium, supporting eye, skin and bone health.
Fact: Brussels are high in PROTEIN when compared to other green veggies. (WAT??))
Fact: Brussels sprouts are known to help combat cancer, and can decrease the risk of obesity, heart disease and diabetes! They are packed with antioxidants to help with inflammation of the body but also have been shown to help regulate your blood sugars!
I mean these little guys are the super hero’s of the produce department! Can’t you just see them flying around the store in tiny capes now with a golden B across their little sprout chests???
I know some of you are still thinking this…
And I used to feel the same way. When I was growing up and my Mom would cook them, I seriously thought I might die from the smell.
But then I did some whole30s, saw the light, gave my tastebuds a chance to actually taste real food, and also found some tasty recipes like this one and this one that helped me learn to love these little babies. 😉 So here’s the recipe, tell me what you think!
- 4 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs (I may use chicken breasts next time though)
- 1.2 tsp. salt
- 2 bags (9-10 oz. each) Brussels sprouts (I used one bag and ran them through my food processor and it was enough for the two of us.)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp. chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup Asian Citrus dressing
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh ginger (I just used the seasoning)
- minced garlic (4 cloves is what recipe recommended but I only did 2)
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (I just got some oranges and squeezed the juice from them)
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- recipe calls for their Siracha but I did not make this…
What to do:
- Heat up 2 tbsp. oil in a skillet and add the sliced chicken. Stir occasionally until cooked through.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt.
- Add the other 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the pan and then add the shaved brussels sprouts, shallots and carrots. (I just cut the ends off of my sprouts and ran them through my processor with the insert flipped to the slice side and it shaved them perfectly!)
- Cook through until the veggies are tender and then add the dressing and heat through a few minutes.
- For the dressing, heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan on the stove. Add the seasonings first, then the juice, aminos and vinegar. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and then add the sesame oil.
Hope you all enjoy and maybe this will help save some of you from food boredom hah!