I love this meal. There aren’t meany recipes I start off with that statement haha… but this to me is a great comfort food meal, that prepares easily and is good for any meal of the day. Reheats well, has lots of hidden veggies (score!) and it’s just tasty.
I found this recipe from the Against All Grain – Meals Made Easy book, so I wanted to share it with you and also just recommend her books in general. She has a few books out, and they all have tasty recipes and information in them. She has a section in the back too for meal planning and grocery lists and shopping, and a really cool image directory for looking up meals. The author, Danielle Walker, has a really cool personal story on how she used food to heal her body from a horrible digestive disease, so she is just an encouraging individual in general as well.
- 1.5 lb. Ground Beef
- 1.2 cup yellow onion diced (her recipe specified red onion, but I prefer yellow)
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced sweet potato (or butternut squash)
- 2.5 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/3 cup diced mushrooms (my addition)
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper (my addition)
- 10 large eggs
- Sea Salt
- Cilantro for garnishing
What To Do:
- Brown ground meat and diced onion in an oven safe 10-12 in. skillet and drain any fat.
- Add the sweet potato and cook a few more minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, baby spinach, zucchini, mushrooms and red bell pepper and continue stirring and heating through.
- Beat 10 large eggs in a separate bowl and add sea salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs on top of the meat mixture and mix everything thoroughly.
- Place the whole skillet in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the egg is cooked through. I think I usually end up cooking it a little longer than that.
- Remove from the oven, slice and top with salsa and avocado! Super tasty!