I think this may have been one of our favorite meals this round of Whole30! I snagged this little guy off of the whole30 website, and was super delicious! I had to make a few changes to their recipe, because I could not find apple cider without added sugar. Impossible. Maybe if we lived near a whole foods or trader joes I might have won that search but not with what we have around here haha… so I improvised. You can see what I did below.
- 4-5 pound boneless pork butt (cut in half for thorough cooking and to fit in your crockpot – Pork butt is actually a nice shoulder cut!)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened apple cider
- Note: I could not find this lol… so I googled how to make apple cider, and most of the recipes consisted of heating water with apples, cinnamon and all spice. So instead of the apple cider, I cut up an apple and inserted the slices into my pork, poured 3/4 cup of apple juice without added sugar (yes this is whole30 approved – you can use juice for sweetening or cooking but they say not to just drink it straight) and 3/4 water into my crockpot, and then sprinkled with cinnamon and all spice. Seemed to work.
Ingredients for Sweet Spice Rub:
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp. garlic powder
- 0.5 tsp chili powder
- 0.5 tsp. ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp. fresh ground pepper
What To Do:
- Sprinkle/rub your pork with the mixture of spice rub seasonings.
- Slice the onions and place on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Place the seasoned pork on top.
- Add the apple cider, or in my case the apple juice, water, apples, cinnamon and all spice.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Pull the meat out of the crock pot, shred and enjoy! I returned my meat to the crock pot and poured a little bit of the juice back on top of it.
This would be a great filler for sweet potato toast sandwiches too and was great leftover! My oldest munchkin requested it three nights in a row for dinner haha!