Before I get started on the food portion of this, I just had to share some of the pictures my sister took of us this weekend! We were supposed to do this before Christmas for our holiday cards, but it got rained out and pushed back to January. But that’s ok, because it was a gorgeous day and the boys did great! Here are some of my favorites from Jude’s 18 month pictures! These guys are my whole heart.
The morning of our photo shoot, I popped this chicken verde salsa from Mix and Match Mama in my slower cooker and it was SO nice to have it ready when we came home. Because of course, we were all starving and tired and who wants to make dinner when you feel like that haha!
I love Shay Shull. I have read her blog every single day for the last 2-3 years, ever since her brother was on The Bachelor. I just think she is such a fun gal and such an encouraging mama. She always is striving to make things special for her family, and she is so positive. Recently, she has put out a few cook books and the ones I have are really good! Check them out!
I liked how this one recipe in particular could be made Whole3o approved! I think it’s important to be able to look at recipes from other books that aren’t Paleo or Whole30 and be able to modify them to fit your needs. It takes some practice but once you’ve been doing it for a while it becomes second nature.
I have made chicken verde salsa before by just pouring a jar of verde salsa on top of chicken and cooking it for 4-6 hours (EASY), but I love the little things she added to the recipe to give it some extra flavor. Jacob enjoyed taking this to work, you know we only make recipes that have good leftovers around here haha! So here it is!
- 1 pound chicken breasts (unfrozen)
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 – 4 oz. cans of green chilis
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or 2 tbsp. of chili powder
- 1 – 16 oz. jar of green verde salsa
- 1 cup chicken stock or water (I used chicken stock!)
- (Opt. – tacos, tortilla chips, monterey jack cheese, lime juice, guacamole)
What To Do:
- Combine the chicken, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, green chilis, taco seasons, salsa and chicken stock into your crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
- Shred the chicken in your slow cooker and then choose how you want to enjoy it! Since we were doing a Whole30, we just topped in on plantain chips with some guacamole but I know this would be delicious wrapped in tortillas or tacos with some cheese!